It was an honour for the Siege Museum to host a visit for Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, today 2 November 2021, following which the Trustees of the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall extended an invitation to the adjacent building.
The tour of the Siege Museum was conducted by the Chairman of the Siege Museum Committee, William Moore BEM, and Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal was welcomed to the Memorial Hall by Ivan Taylor, Chairman of the Trustees of the Memorial Hall.
The Siege Museum tells the story of Londonderry from the Siege of 1688-89 to the present day, and includes the history of the Associated Clubs of the Apprentice boys of Derry and the annual commemorations of Siege events.
Among the most admired items on display are sword carried by the Siege Hero Col. Adam Murray and, from more recent times, there is a silver replica Mountjoy which contained the Freedom of the City of Londonderry for Viscount Montgomery of Alamein
Following the tour of the Museum Her Royal Highness spoke to schools from the area and to representatives of each of the eight Parent Clubs that are the Associated Clubs of the Apprentice Boys of Derry. The Secretary of the Murray, Bro. David Hoey, introduced four of the Clubs to Her Royal Highness, the Baker Club, Campsie Club, Browning Club and the Murray Club (represented on the day by the Secretary, and Chaplain Bro. David Austin), providing a little background on each Club, and reflecting on aspects of the story she may have observed within the Siege Museum. The Princess Royal took time to speak with the representatives of each Club.
Currently on exhibition is the story of Londonderry within the 100 years of Northern Ireland. While in the Memorial Hall, Her Royal Highness unveiled a Centenary Stone which is to be placed permanently in the Museum.