The English Amalgamated Committee held its AGM and Parade for the second year running in Blackpool, set to be a popular annual event. Along with the Murray Club President, Gordon McMorris, this was an excellent opportunity to meet with our English Clubs, including SAMS Liverpool, Bootle, Lancashire & Cheshire, Thames & Avon, as well as Partick from Scotland. English brethren were joined by many from Scotland and from Northern Ireland. Numbers were an increase on last year, and there were two evenings of entertainment, one with the EAC and a second organised by SAMS Murray which took the pressure on numbers that the EAC venue could accommodate. In addition to meeting our current Clubs we were able to spend some time with members of the potential club to be based in Corby. A very worthwhile weekend.
2021 saw a return to the Initiation Weekend, 18/19 September, which did not take place in 2020 due to Covid restrictions on holding meetings.
It was good to return to the Memorial Hall, with a Parade of Murray with the Mitchelburne Club on the Saturday morning. We were able to welcome Murray members from Upperlands, Crumlin, Belfast and Thames & Avon. In total, nine new Members were made into the Apprentice Boys Association. Thanks to the Governor of the Association, Graham Stenhouse, for officiating at the Initiations.
On Sunday, again with the Mitchelburne Club, we paraded from `Glendermott Presbyterian Church to the Old Glendermott Graveyard to Visit the Graves of the Siege Heroes, Col. Adam Murray and Col. John Mitchelburne. The Hamilton Flute Band led the Parade, and played at the short Service conducted by Rev. Nigel Cairns.
The first congregation of Glendermott Presbyterian Church was established in 1654 with the Church being build some few years after the Siege in 1696. Extensions and renovations in 1938 did not alter the Church’s layout, reflecting the original Scottish form of the congregational seating to the front and to the left and right of the pulpit.
The connection with Col. Adam Murray is strong. He was a member of the Congregation of Glendermott. To the left of the pulpit there is a brass tablet framed in oak, commemorating the efforts of the Rev. James Gordon who would have been the Minister known to Murray, and to Murray himself.